Offering Birth and Death Certificate Services
900 University Blvd. N., Jacksonville, FL 32211 (904) 253-1620
Vital Statistics maintains records of birth and death certificates occurring in Duval County dating back to 1893. DCHD also provides access to birth records for anyone born in the state of Florida from 1917 to present.
For more information regarding Office of Vital Statistics services, call (904) 253 - 1620.
Each month, between 550 and 750 persons die in Duval County and between 1,200 and 1,400 babies are born. At the Duval County Health Department, we maintain records of each birth and death. We have records of deaths and births occurring in Duval County dating back to 1893. And we can access birth records for anyone born in the state of Florida from 1917 to present.
To protect the privacy of sensitive information and to prevent identify theft, birth certificates are not public records and the cause of death on a death certificate is not public record. As required by state law, we restrict access to these certificates. But we make them readily available to the individuals, family members and guardians or beneficiaries. We require identification and documentation before releasing it.
There are costs associated with obtaining these records. Those costs are explained below.
We receive between 600 and 750 requests for death certificates each month. Death certificates can be provided by our office for all deaths that occurred in any county from 2009 to present. Death certificates for years prior to 2008 can only be provided for deaths that occurred in Duval County.
Who can obtain a copy of a death certificate?
Without the cause of death listed:
- Anyone may request a copy of a death certificate without the cause of death showing on the certificate
With the cause of death listed:
- To obtain a copy of a death certificate with the cause of death showing on the certificate, you have to be an immediate family member. This includes a spouse, brother or sister, son or daughter, grandparent or grandson or granddaughter; or
- Beneficiary of a deceased person’s life insurance policy (must provide documentation); or
- Estate administrator (must provide documentation)
Most often, copies of birth certificates are requested for identification, to prove citizenship and for other purposes. The State of Florida maintains the original copies of birth certificates from Duval County as well as the rest of the state. We provide you with a certified certificate that you can legally keep and use.
As with death certificates, we receive a surprising number of requests for birth certificates from other states. But we do not have those records. We encourage people to contact the state in which the death or birth occurred.
Click here to print the Birth Certificate Application.
Who can obtain a copy of a birth certificate?
- Individuals 18 and older may obtain their own certificate
- Parents or guardians who present court documents showing legal custody
- Attorneys representing children and adolescents under 18. They also must provide documentation
How to obtain a copy of a birth or death certificate?
Visit our main office at 900 University Blvd. N. in Jacksonville,
We are open from 8:00 am to 4:45 pm.,
Monday – Friday.
Mail a request to:
Office of Vital Statistics
Duval County Health Department
900 University Blvd. N.
Jacksonville, FL 32211
Print the applications here:
Ordering via internet:
The Duval County Health Department does not accept credit cards for online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc. VitalChek can be reached either through its website, www.vitalchek.com, or by phone at 1-877-297-9125. An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®.
Ordering via telephone:
You may order birth and death certificates by phone with a credit card by calling VitalChek at 1-877-297-9125. All major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®. The VitalChek fax number is 1-888-985-2842.
What Information is needed?
- One (1) valid form of photo identification such as a driver’s license, State ID issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles, passport or military ID. All identification must be valid (can not be expired.) For mailed requests, please provide a clear, readable photocopy.
- The completed Certificate Application Form
Birth Certificate Application
Death Certificate Application
- You also need to provide the person’s
- Full name
- Date of birth or date of death
- County of birth
- Mother’s full name including maiden name
- Father’s full name
How soon may I expect a copy?
- Your request will be processed within 10 to 14 business days from the day we receive it from you.
What is the cost to obtain a Birth or Death Certificate?
- $12 for one copy
- $6 for each additional copy requested at the same time as the original request for the same person
- All requests by mail should also include the certified mail fee of $5.54. Fees should be paid by money order or cashier's check (Do not send cash by mail)
- Walk-in customers may pay by cash, cashier’s check, money order or major credit card (except American Express). We are sorry, but we do not accept personal checks or business checks